View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 10, 2012, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrellypoo View Post
Hi Mel! (I'm Melissa, are you also, or are you a Melanie?)
Thank you for your reply, Melissa! I'm a Melanie! At college people couldn't remember all those syllables, so Mel has been the norm for the past few years.

I'm just really worried that I'll never be able to get a job, and I have loans to think about. There is no market for my field back home- or any field, really- where I'd be having the transplant, so I'd essentially lose a year of my life, just sitting around in my childhood home, rotting under the stares of my parents.

Quote:
It took mine 3 weeks from the chemo to fall out, and I'd say 98% fell out
I guess I'll learn to crochet hats- gives me something to do while I'm in isolation.

Quote:
When the alternative is being jabbed over and over again for veins that are no longer there, you REALLY want one. During a transplant, you often need 2 or 3 IVs going at once, and they often start very early in the morning, so I'd be surprised if they were optional. You might be able to consider a PICC line in your arm instead though? Ask your transplant centre.
I remember the Hickman being both the best and worst thing that ever happened to me. I got mine when I was 15, for ATG treatment. I have horrible veins to begin with. The surgeon who placed had a real sense of humor- I woke up and there's this tube sticking out of my left breast. Which grew. Because I was 15. That felt really good. But what I missed most was showering. It's Florida; Even when it's cold, it's hot.

Quote:
Hahah! I forgot the pills had a funny smell. I was only on it for about 2 months post-transplant, but my experience wasn't the norm.
I'll never forget the smell! My dad had a kidney transplant the year before I got diagnosed, and I remember him having to mix the liquid form of it into his orange juice because the pills were too difficult for him to swallow. They have a generic out now, though, and it's not quite as bad as the brand-name stuff.

Quote:
One thing that you haven't brought up that you NEED to think about now, though, is that it's extremely likely you'll be infertile after your transplant.
Good! That's the most enticing side effect of BMTs I've heard yet!

So... chemo. I know that most people get pretty nauseated from it, but what happens if you can't keep anything down? Do they just pop you on an IV until you can handle food again, or is it an endless stream of being bullied to eat something, only to throw it up later? Are there certain things you aren't allowed to eat? Do you have to stick to hospital meals, or can you have actual food brought in?
Mel, 21 and officially tired of being sick; dx AA 2006; treated and responsed to ATG in 2006; dx thyroid cancer, treated with thyroidectomy and I-131 in 2009; dx PNH in 2011 but asymptomatic until 2012; BMT inevitable with sibling donor