View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 27, 2012, 01:59 PM

Biopsy Test Results

Hi Everyone,

Today I received the results from my bone marrow biopsy. Here's some of what it says:

-Markedly hypocellular bone marrow consistent with aplastic anemia
-Normoblastic erythroid predominant trilineage hematopoiesis
-Absent storage iron

WBC: 2.4 TH/CMM
HB: 10.9 g/dL
HCT: 33.0%
MCV: 85.9 FL
Platelets: 91 TH/CMM

WBC Differential of 50% neutrophils, 40% lymphocytes, 8% monocytes and 2% eosinophils

Smear: Megakaryocytes are present and maturing. The M:E ratio is 2:1 to 1:1. The myeloid and erythroid series show progressive and synchronous maturation. Occasional erythroid precursors show binucleation. Plasma cells comprise 2-3% of total marrow cellularity.

Core: 20% Cellularity (Same as results from 2007)
Scattered megakaryocytes are present and show some displastic features with hypolobation.

I was also tested for leukemia/lymphoma and Fanconi anemia and that was negative.

I am supposed to go back to see my hematologist in 2 months. She talked to me about possibly going to NIH for immunosuppressant therapy. There's no rush since my anemia isn't severe but she threw it out there as an option. I'm wondering if I should just wait and see if it gets worse or start some type of treatment. My blood counts haven't changed that much over the years, although, this is the first time I've seen my platelets be in the double digits.

I'm starting to think that maybe my bone marrow will stay like this for a good while, a few more years at least before it gets worse since it's already been this way for about 5 years.

What do you think? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by MShawnte : Sat Jan 28, 2012 at 10:52 PM.