View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 12:07 AM

Cyclosporine taper questions

I am a 65 YO and was diagnosed with Severe Aplastic Anemia in Jan 2010. I had Horse ATG and then CSA. Over the next 6 months my counts recovered to near normal. I started a slow CSA taper a few months ago and we are reducing the dosage 25MGs/day every 2-3 months. So far I have reduced my dosage from 400mgs/day to the current level of 250/day.

My doctor and I are watching for signs of a relapse. What does a relapse look like? Do you usually see a drop in platelets first? Is the drop dramatic or a slow downward trend?

How long should you go between lab reports during the taper process? I get nervous dropping my CSA dosage the 25 mgs and then not getting blood work for 2 months.

When/if you do have a relapse what action do you take to get your counts back? I read someplace that it is best to raise the CSA 100 mgs. Is that true? Can/should you then try to taper again?