View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 17, 2011, 01:02 PM

Hi Bergit,

nice to meet you here. I am only logged in because i received an answer in a threat watched by me...

My explanation of the instability of the ferritin level in your case would be, that

- there is no reliable answer to give. It could be that the ferritin level tends to sink down with the iron then binding on tissue and organs. Or the ferritinlevel ist not reliable for a serious mesurement of your actual ironload. Your level was higher than 1000, and i remember a libanesian study where they found out that the ferritinlevel is not reliable between 1000 and 2000 (i am not sure for the exact counts), - but it seems not impossible for me that the levels you had in the last months were not reflecting you exact iron load by the same reasons as they did not reflect them in the Libanesian study. Also it could be that the form by which your body stores the iron uptaken with the transfusions changes by some circumstances which are unknown by you. In many cases mds patients have elevated ferritin levels even when they have still not got any transfusions..

Salut! All the best for you!
Kind regards
Margarete