View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 8, 2013, 03:51 PM

High levels of folate require bone marrow biopsy?

Hi, I don't have all my blood work details (UK), but am completely baffled.

I was diagnosed with pernicious anaemia 10 years ago, and receive regular B12 injections for life. I have my B12 levels checked twice a year and on each occasion over the last decade, regardless of the B12 readings (sometimes higher, sometimes lower) I have also shown large 'watery' red cells, which haven't responded to the B12. Nothing was done about this until recently, when I was referred to a haematologist who said that it was 'highly unusual' but he wasn't worried! He ordered more blood tests which seemed ok, but today when I returned for my 2nd visit I thought he said the folate levels were a bit LOW, and prescribed folic acid supplementation. He then said that if my Folate levels went any higher - he would be looking at a bone marrow biopsy (which he mentioned on my last visit). I am baffled and wondering if I misheard him, because why would he give me Folate if he didn't want me to increase my levels? I am confused. I will ring the hospital on Monday to ask for a copy of the letter concerning my visit today, so I may learn more when that arrives.

I would be grateful for any thoughts on this one.