View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 2, 2014, 06:52 PM

Yes...one of the emergency medicine doctors I used to work with told me that...neurologists are to Medicine what Orthopaedic Surgeons are to surgery. They both have reputations that precede them.

I hope your mother in law gets some answers shortly. I found with my mother, it was difficult to get doctors to investigate properly due to her age. I've stopped agitating for treatment for my Mum and now I just insist that Mum is kept pain free and happy. Despite her multiple comorbitities she is now considered one of the best responders in her dialysis unit. They are considering changing her from three times a week to twice a week. About a year and a half ago, I rang my mothers nephrologist and told him straight out that I thought his care was very poor and he needed to improve. According to the nurses in his unit, he has stopped being so arrogant and God like and now sees his patients every day. My mother now likes him and he tells my Mum she is his best patient....sometimes doctors just don't realise how they are perceived unless someone tells them. I was very frightened of being so blunt with him but my mother was more important to me than what this doctor thought of me. Thank goodness, the blunt honest approach worked. This doctor even told my mother recently that I was a "good advocate" for her. I have to admit it's difficult to know when to stop pushing for investigations and answers and when to settle for best quality of life possible.