View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 6, 2015, 06:08 PM

I am sorry for your Mom's diagnosis, it is a real life changing shocker. The doctor was being very candid and that should be appreciated. They are in a difficult position when talking "time" because everyone is different. I had an acquaintance a few months ago who only lived about a month following diagnosis. Some people on this forum have lived for years. There are varying situations with MDS so learn the particulars of your Mom's diagnosis i.e. "blast count", platelet count, white cell count etc. Knowledge about the disease is very helpful. The only possible "cure" will be a stem cell transplant, otherwise the disease is "terminal".

What kind of "pill" did the doctor refer? There are different approaches. I was immediately put on Vidaza (subcutaneous shots for a week and then off for 21 days) following diagnosis. It just depends on what the diagnosis is. With the longevity mentioned I would think more than just the "pill" would be appropriate, but the doctor knows what is best. Most people tolerate the treatments well.

Age makes a difference with types of treatment also (the younger, the better). We aren't doctors on this forum, but we have a wealth of experience. So ask many questions and try to be as specific as possible with names and numbers.