View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 18, 2008, 01:58 PM

Good News

Howdy Folks,

Thank you Briggitta-A, for the informative links on effects of Vidazza on WBC. This week Nellie's whites came up some, reds slipped a little but the plates jumped even higher to 340. Developed mouth sores this week, very uncomfortable. Overall looks good.

Found out yesterday that a donor was found and further testing has been requested. BMT Dr. Cogle says we will keep that in our hip pocket for now. Some relief knowing that may be one bridge down.

I think I finally understand what JAK 2 is and why Dr. Cogle is interested in it's detection. JAK2 mutation is a protein switch in the genes that may cause Polycythemia Vera (MPD), which is a blood disorder in which your bone marrow makes too many red blood cells. May also increase WBC and platelets. If I understood Dr. Morris correctly, the JAK 2 mutant gene may also reduce productions of all types of blood cells. If the mutant JAK 2 exist, it may be what is causing the MDS. Currently there are studies targeting the JAK 2 mutant gene, and if successful may resolve some cases of MDS. Now, this is my understanding of information I believe I understood. Not a statement of fact stated by anyone. But Nellie and I have high hopes and Know that God is good, and gives you a way out of any dire circumstance.

If anyone has knowledge or any comment on this please write. God Bless you all and give you strength and understanding.

Eli
Eli, husband of Nellie (64), dx 3/08 MDS RAEB-1 w/abs, 2nd BMB 9/08 after 4 cyls blast dn to .5, Vidaza reduced 50% on 11/19 after sudden drop in CBC, 8th cycle completed 12/26/08. BMB 2/09 blast 17%. Seven day Induction Therapy completed 3/23/09, Started Salvage Therapy 5/5/09. Stopped 5/8/09.

Last edited by ESeda : Sun Jul 20, 2008 at 09:33 AM.