View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 12:33 AM

Combo Therapy

Hi Larry,

After 2 years of Vidaza plus Enbrel (clinical trial) which just kept my excess blasts steady at around 10-12%, I went back to my primary doc who wanted to add Revlimid to Vidaza. I had started Revlimid about 5 years ago and it dropped my counts sharply. I started at 10 mg daily, then cut to 5 mg daily before going off. Nonetheless he wanted to try again, at lower dosage. Since August of 2008, I've been on Vidaza (thru a port) and Revlimid 2 5mg pills per wk or about 8 per month. My excess blasts have steadily declined from about 10% to 6% and now under 4%. Mycounts have remained steady at about 2.5 WBC's, 1000 ANC, 100K platelets. A disappointment is that Revlimid is supposed to reduce the need for RBC's and it hasn't. I've been about every 4 weeks for the last 4 years. HCT goes between 32 and 24, sometimes lower.

I voted not to take thalidomide originally because of all the comments about neuropathy. As you know, Revlimid is the "advanced" version of thalidomide. Hope this helps.
Steve Kessler,Age 71, Dx 3/2001, Currently AML converted from MDS, 5q-, 11q23, Negative response to Aranesp, Revlimid. Partial response to Vidaza in the past. On a study using ON1910.NA, counts too low to go to Stanford on schedule.