View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 4, 2006, 09:07 PM

Vidaza & Thalidomide Combination Therapy

In Dec 2005 I was diagnosed with low risk MDS with less than 5% blasts. In June 2006 it was found that my disease had progressed more rapidly that anticipated as it now was high risk MDS transforming to AML with 23% blasts. My disease is being approached as high risk MDS rather than a frank AML with recommended combination therapy of Vidaza and Thalidomide - 28 day cycle with 5 days of low dose Vidaza injections (75mg/kg) and Thalidomide tablets starting at 50mg/day increasing to 100mg. The Vidaza injections are given in my arms.

On July 17, 2006 I started the treatments and the 6th cycle of treatments was started on Dec 4, 2006 with counts as follows: WBC 1.1 RBC 2.93
Hgb 9.6 Plt 138 ANC 0.4

At this juncture I remain optimistic with this treatment plan and overall MDS considerations. Detailed background and periodic counts are included in the "My Story" section.

Information furnished by others in Marrowforums and its predecessor, AA-MDS-TALK List, have been appreciated and most helpful in becoming better acquainted with MDS, various treatments and side effects since March 2006 when I first enrolled in AA-MDS-Talk.

Any comments about Vidaza and Thalidomide will be appreciated.

larry gard, male, age 77.