Thread: Vidaza
View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 7, 2009, 05:04 PM

My Vidaza Experience

I started the Vidaza about a week after my DX. I have already had good results. My platelets are solid and my reds are only a little low. My whites were my worse culprit but last week they were 8. They are steadily improving and the lows aren't as bad but I was 1.9 when I began and 39% on neutrophils (now about 60%) I am 55 and pretty healthy and have read as many case histories on Vidaza as I could find. The manufacturers of the drug have some side effect histories. Some people have a hard time with it. I have some skin problems. dizziness, headache nausea and constipation , it is very dehydrating but I consider this all a small price to pay.I feel a lot better and I was going to do another BMB after this cycle(4) but they have found me a perfect match so I am now awaiting the SCT. I have no way of knowing if my blasts Have improved but I sure feel like this drug has helped me a lot. My blasts we 11-12% so it could have slipped into AML very rapidly. I am very lucky in that I have not needed a transfusion or blood boosters,I have no chromosome abnormalities but aggressive MDS. Strange huh? Try one cycle and monitor everything closely, it was rough for the first two cycles but like I have said I feel so much better. Hope this helps a little. I just now got a call from my Transplant Doctors office and I think they want me to do another BMB OH JOY! So I will let you know on the out come
Vera, 56 yo female Dx RAEB II 10-08, 11-12% blasts. Normal chromosomes. Started Vidaza 10-08. . Improved Dx 3-09 MDS RA 2% blasts 8 cycles Vidaza! SCT transplant 7-1-09 at UCSF. Normal bone marrow and MDS free as of 10-09