Thread: My Dad and MDS
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 01:49 PM

Thank you My Online Friend!

Dear Linda - thanks for taking time to reply, and for the words of encouragement. I'm beginning to realize, through my new friends here on Marrowforums, that we truly do have to wait until my dad attains at least a four session trial with the chemotherapy. I'm asking my mom to look into that drug called Dacogen as well, although he's currently on the Vidaza. On top of all of this, he has diabetes, and his sugar levels are doing some crazy things. I think you may be right, he may be depressed. My dad is the youngest of 12 siblings, and his last surviving brother just died a few months ago after a bout with Lou Gehrig's disease. It was a fast progressing disease, he didn't make a full year after he was diagnosed. A year earlier, my dad's favorite brother, the one who had basically raised my dad as a father figure (their dad died when my dad was only 2 - they were a family of Pennsylvania coal miners) passed away from pancreatic cancer. He had turned 80 a few months prior to his death. I think my dad is indeed feeling depressed about his brothers and thinking that his time is up as well. He does have three surviving sisters, two in their mid 80s, and they are doing fantastic for their ages! I think it's a compilation of factors, but mostly, being that he was never sick and full of vim and vigor all these years - suddenly, he can't do those things he's accustomed to doing. I try to get him to have a more positive outlook, but he's stubborn. I hope with the next two sessions of Vidaza ending when spring starts, he will develop a better outlook and his mind will help to heal his body. I believe that is possible.

Again, thanks, and do keep me posted. Sounds like your husband is trying his best, and for that, be thankful and proud. I'm sure it's harder being in their shoes than ours.....

God Bless You and Your Family, and thank you very much. I hope we can stay in touch.

~ mary