Thread: My Dad and MDS
View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 2, 2007, 12:24 AM

Vidaza vs Dacogen

Mary,

Both Vidaza & Dacogen are methyltransferase inhibitors. That is, they do the same thing. Each has success stories and clinical results to date are mixed as to whichone works better and for whom. Some people have done better after switching from one to the other, but not all. I'm on my 4th round of Vidaza along with Enbrel as part of a clinical trial. I haven't yet responded and the doc says the median response time for Vidaza is about 4 rounds, but some people take as long as six.

Yes, this is a lousy condition in that it robs you of energy a lot of the time. I'm learning that I can still do it all, just slower and sometimes I have to wait a while. My advice to your dad is to just ignore the weakness as best he can and go on with all the things he can possibly do. There is still a lot of satisfaction out there!
Steve Kessler,Age 71, Dx 3/2001, Currently AML converted from MDS, 5q-, 11q23, Negative response to Aranesp, Revlimid. Partial response to Vidaza in the past. On a study using ON1910.NA, counts too low to go to Stanford on schedule.