Thread: My Dad and MDS
View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 6, 2007, 09:41 PM

Dad has MDS

Hi Mary:
Vidaza used to be called Azacitidine ... adding to the info posted by Steve: it has cytotoxic effects that cause death to rapidly growing cells, including cancer cells. There is a warning that men should not father a child while taking this drug. Is the hem/onc checking for kidney or liver problems? All three cell lines can be degraded and he may need transfusion support. It is easy for him to feel down when you think of low counts combined with side effects that might be worse for him. I know it would be great if he had something to be cheerful about, and a good attitude is always helpful.

You might try telling your Mom about this site, or even showing it to her if you can. Explain how it might provide info that could give some help or hope for your Dad. She might open up to to the thought of going through the records with you and getting involved in a search for some answers.

In the meantime, visit www.aamds.org and www.mds-foundation.org When you have put everything to memory (well, almost everything) go to the two sites I listed on the thread above about spleen removal.
Middle-aged (83 yo) dx Nov 4, 1997 w/MDS-RA+pancytopenia, tx about 18 mo. Responded to EPO+G-CSF. Ferritin dropped from 2500 to 480. Three non-fatal heart attacks, five non-fatal strokes and a lot of TIAs. Otherwise in very good health.

Last edited by Wayne O'Shana : Thu Feb 8, 2007 at 12:11 AM.