Thread: My Dad and MDS
View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 09:18 AM

Wink MDS

On Mar 1st my husband recieved a call from the Family Doctor clinic on some blood results he had taken which showed dangerously low. They advised him that he had an appt at the Cancer clinic for 2:30 that afternoon.I had worked nights the night before so he did not wake me up to tell me about this appt. I woke up on my own and got dressed and went meet him. He had already been called to the back of the clinic. Thank God I went to meet him because they admitted him the same afternoon!They did not even allow us to go home,we walked next door and he was admitted through the ER! Two days later we were shipped by abulance to Tulane in New Orleans. The initial diagnosis was AML after another bone marrow biopsy in NO it was reevaluated as MDS in the intermediate stage but they had already put in a Med port! After a week at Tulane they sent us home until a donor could be found for a stem cell transplant. He had his 5 brothers tested but none matched. So now they are resorting to the National Registry. He is 52 yrs old. Doctors want to start Vidaza within a month to see how he responds to that before scheduling the stem cell transplant. Is there any way that the Vidaza would do the trick without having to go through the stem cell transplant That would be a real blessing! for sure.Not looking forward to the transplant,I know it will be a long haul! Any feed back would greatly be appreciated Thanks Donna The first appt at Tulane after release they thought that the MEd port should come out due to the fact we had no donor and it could take a while before the transplant so instead of risking infection at the Med port site they removed it then will put it back in when needed which will be 4 to 6 months.Unfortunately we will be billed twice for the same service. I guess that can not be helped because when we first arrived at Tulane they thought he needed chemo right away. On top of the MDS he also has HEP B virus which is inactive right now but doctors say this will be an additional complication at the time of transplant

Last edited by Charlie : Wed Apr 18, 2007 at 09:28 AM. Reason: needed to add info on Med Port