View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 06:56 PM

Smile Responding to ATG!

Hello,

I hope this information can help someone else out there.

I was diagnosed with AA/MDS-RCMD and received ATG/Cyclosporine/Prednisone in December of 2008. I have now been transfusion free for 6 weeks!

From what I've read and learned from my doctors, ATG can be an effective treatment for "younger" patients with hypo-MDS, MDS-RA, and MDS-RCMD who's condition appears to be immune-mediated. A couple of my doctors think my response will be short-lived (6-12 months). However, I've read an article that showed much more durable responses in the above sub-types of MDS - I think because of the overlap between this disease and Aplastic Anemia.

As a disclaimer, my doctors have had a very difficult time diagnosing my disease. I've had 5 expert opinions: 1-AA, 1-uncertain, and 3-MDS-RCMD. So, I may be a morph of the two diseases. Maybe that is why I am responding so well to the ATG. I also have sub-clinical PNH, which I've heard is good predictor for response to ATG.

Anyway, ATG may be another treatment option to discuss with your doctor if you fall into this sub-type of MDS.