Thread: Day 110
View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 2, 2010, 01:21 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura View Post
The weirdest thing though is that they are testing me for asthma to see if that is why I have this cough that won't go away. I have never had asthma before. I was told that if my donor had asthma that it could transfer to me through the transplant. WEIRD. It is so interesting how the immune system works.
Laura,

Your donor doesn't have serious asthma because if she did then she wouldn't have qualified to be a donor. But that doesn't rule out a lesser, more manageable type of asthma.

According to the donor health guidelines:
Asthma

If you have asthma that is exercise-induced or is well-controlled using an inhaler (including those containing steroids), and have had no attacks requiring oral (pill) or intravenous (IV) steroids or emergency care in the past five years, you are able to register to become a potential volunteer donor. If you have asthma requiring regular/daily use of oral (pill) steroids, you will not be allowed to register.
Your donor is anonymous but I wonder if the Mayo Clinic would be able to ask your donor's donor center if her records show that she has asthma.