Thread: Day 110
View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 4, 2010, 07:33 AM

Oh Laura, I'm sorry to hear you've got another infection, it's SO hard to feel you're going backwards after making some gains. In my experience, though, the PICC line was much easier to handle than a Hickman line, as it's in a better concealed place (get some of the stretchy bands from your hospital to go over it, too, and the line stays in place), the recovery from the insertion was way faster, the dressings were smaller and easier to keep clean, and the removal was really really easy and absolutely pain-free for me. And IMHO, any line is preferable to weeks upon weeks of cannulas!

Fingers crossed for your holiday! I know how much you must be looking forward to it - we haven't been anywhere since Feb 2008 and we're absolutely gagging to get away - anywhere! - for a little bit.
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)