View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 4, 2021, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Cuadra View Post
Seven months is indeed on the long end of the scale, but I've often heard that it can take "three to six" months, so seeing results in the 7th month isn't unheard of.

Every hematologist has their own opinion about how low to let a patient's hemoglobin get before ordering the next transfusion. There's a bit of an art to it, I guess. It probably also depends on the patient's circumstances. Anyone who needs regular transfusions over time has to balance the schedule so they get what they need to minimize short-term risks but don't have transfusions more often than necessary to minimize long-term risks.

Congratulations on the improved results!
Thank you for your kind response.

My mother's hematologist told her that her age is a factor in her slower response. It can take 9+ months for a response, particularly with older people with aplastic anemia (she never told us that at the beginning). With younger people, she doesn't wait as long (that's her opinion, of course). But there is nothing bad about a slower response, other than the wait.

My mother does have iron overload, but she isn't that concerned now as it hasn't festered in the body for that long. But it will need to be addressed in the future if her iron doesn't come down because high iron over years can cause heart and liver damage.

The hematologist is also concerned about antibodies from blood transfusions which can cause her to have reactions to future blood and platelets transfusions. But she said that have to be pretty high to cause real issues. I believe she said that give you medicines to counteract the antibodies if you develop a problem. I am not sure.

Health, healing and happiness to everyone.