Thread: Relapse SAA
View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 22, 2013, 11:40 PM

the Affordable Care Act

Kim - I saw the bit about divorce and worries about insurance. When Karin and I separated we stayed married for a while so she could stay on my insurance, but she thought it unfair on her boyfriend so we divorced. She has had PNH for 23 years but on July 5th she needed RBC and platelet transfusions so looking like associated AA (neutrophils 0.75 x 10^9 / Liter so moderate AA). We considered re-marrying so she could be back on my insurance, but there is a pre-existing condition exclusion period of at least 6 months, and we discovered that the Affordable Care Act (unless the politicians delay it) will allow pre-existing conditions with no exclusion period starting Jan 1st 2014 so we were saved from another marriage :-). They will have Bronze to Platimum health care plans if you earn less than 400% of the Federal Poverty Level ($16000 for a single person), and Federal Assistance if between 100 and 400%. Luckily the local hospital (with help from the hematologists promoting her case) put her on a charity program that paid her recent blood transfusion costs and lasts for a year. Anyway, I wish you luck.