View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 25, 2014, 02:04 AM

Red face Where I'm at 3 years after the stem cell harvesting procedure

Firstly, I really feel for you Angela, about the way you were treated by your family, when you subjected your healthy body to a stem cell donation.

The reality is that your extended family would most likely have treated you the same way if your brother had survived. Because that's the way they are. They are not the type of people you want to associate with. So think of the alienation as a positive. They are not the type of people you would choose to be around.

Surround yourself with good supportive friends. You will be surprised how willing they are to help you through difficulties such as this. Also, I strongly recommend you seek professional counselling; accept the fact that what you have experienced is something few people will have experienced in their lifetime. The part that is so very difficult to deal with is being vilifiied for doing someone a good turn. I know, its taken me to some dark places.

From my experience, I'd expect you are feeling isolated and lonely, and possibly clinically depressed, that is, you are unwell. And just as your brother received medical support for his illness, you have a right receive professional help to get your life back.
And don't be shy about discussing your feelings with trusted friends. You will be surprised to learn how much they care for you, and their willingness to help you through life's challenges.

I was going to give those of you who have followed my thread a detailed citation of what I have experienced in the three years following my stem cell donation to my brother, but I don't think it would be helpful to me or you if I did.

Briefly, my brother is still alive, and in reasonably good health.
I suffer from chronic fatigue, PTSD and clinical depression. And I was unable to return to work. So now I'm a retiree. I have survived all this through professional counselling, love and support from wife and children, my wife's family, and very dear friends.

Hope this helps.

Stem cell donor to family member
stimulating hormone used: Neupogen
Stem cell collection and delivery October 2011