View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 28, 2017, 04:16 PM

VK2 + VD3 for MDS

I was reading up on Vit K2/Vit D3 combination therapy for MDS, specifically looking for anything newer than the original 2010 phase II trial, and I came across an article that was actually about a case of transfusion-transmitted hepatitis E in a patient with MDS but the Case Report was about a 70-year old Japanese man who was treated with this vitamin combo and didn't progress to leukemic transformation over the next 10 years. His pancytopenia did gradually worsen over that time and he did end up with infections & transfusions, which was how he got the Hep E virus, but I'm thinking 10 years wasn't bad after all the stats I'm reading about this disease, with & w/o treatments, including SCT/BMT.

He had 8.8% myeloblasts, trilineage dysplastic features, and chromosome abnormalities. He was classified RAEB-1 with an intermediate-2 IPSS score. The report said he was given this treatment because he also had Parkinson’s disease so maybe not a candidate for transplant?

Is this vitamin combo a known treatment for MDS? Does anyone here do it or know anything more about it?
Joanne, 65F, 8/17 dx Primary MDS-EB1, Pancytopenia; 6/19 MPN w/CMML characteristics, dr calling it AML even w/blasts <20%; 7/19 Induction w/Vyxeos resulting in complete remission with incomplete blood count recovery.