View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 12, 2017, 01:08 PM

From a pure numbers perspective, the survival information on when to get a transplant indicate that statistically, survival is maximized by waiting until progression, typically from an RAEB -1 to RAEB -2 under the old system. There are many reasons for this, including Bailie's observation about feeling good enough to get a transplant, and also the risk/reward crossover at that point. In my case, I was diagnosed in 2010, started progressing in November 2013, and was transplanted in February 2014. I was still relatively healthy, but was certainly going in the wrong direction suddenly.

To Hopeful's point, waiting does have certain other benefits, such as the possibility of improved technology, more data on how to treat complications, time to find better donors, etc. Also, each transplant team's experience increases and the ability of the team to improve outcomes gets better.

Just some thoughts.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.