View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 27, 2012, 10:21 PM

Re: Earl

Brigitta:

Thanks for the positive thoughts. He had a blood draw on Monday - and his Hgb was down to 8.5 - which for him is transfusion level. We talked about it at that time - and decided to wait until his blood draw yesterday - and the Hgb was down to 8.1. I asked if the Dr. was going to order a transfusion - and they said that the Dr. who is administering the chemo uses a level of 8.0 or below. I reminded the nurse that there were already orders on his chart from our Hema that told them to use the 8.5 level - and she snipped at me saying: "Well now - whose orders do you expect me to follow?" To which I promptly replied - the Dr who orders a transfusion at 8.5 - since I know if he drops much below that - he really goes down hill. So - today he got 2 units of blood - followed by the chelating agent to remove the excess iron. Like I explained to her - he is headed for chemo next week, and I don't want him in a weakened condition before he starts. He is already battling the cold. I am so hoping Dr. Sekeres is able to give me more information and guidance.
I, too, cook at home most of the time. There is one restaurant where he likes to have fish - but that's not often. And I wash all the veggies, etc. Like today when he was getting blood - I left him with a bottle of hand sanitizer since I knew he would be making frequent trips to the BR due to the Lasix they give him between units. And by the looks of the bottle - he did ue it.
I hope things are going well for you - and again - thanks for your concern.
Beth