View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 28, 2012, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Deb, I'm very sorry to learn of your sister's passing. From what you've written about her, it sounds like you were a tremendous support to her during her illness. I hope your memories of her in happy, healthy times are comforting to you now.

You mentioned back in June that you were going to start taking iron supplements. Do you know if they have helped to improve your iron levels?

There is a correlation between low platelets and low MPV. MPV, as you probably know, measures the average size of platelets. It is high when there is destruction of platelets (as in ITP and myeloproliferative diseases) and low when there is impaired production (as in aplastic anemia and MDS). Did you ever get an official diagnosis from your hematologist following your bone marrow biopsy?

The presence of an infection, as you seem to have with the cervicitis, can also cause your platelet count to drop. I took Provera for a long time before, during, and after my transplant to stop my bleeding when I had little blood to spare. I hope it helps you as it helped me.

Regards,
Ruth