View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 28, 2010, 09:21 AM

It's important to ask questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al's Wife View Post
We saw the doctor prior to beginning day 3 of cycle 6 of Vidaza. We discussed the differences in the two bone marrow biopsies and the doctor was upset about the discrepancies. So he is contacting the two labs and having them run the tests again. Evidently they save the marrow for a length of time. He said it could be an error or it could be the Vidaza has wiped out the 8 and created the 3, which he compared to jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.
Linda,

Reading about Al's bad reaction to Vidaza I nearly forgot to pick up on this part of your note. It really shows how important it is to be a well-informed, curious patient or caregiver who's not afraid to ask questions. Docs are like anyone else: they can miss stuff.

One of mine missed a whole cytogenetic report from my second BMB and thought my Chromosome 1 abnormality had disappeared. No such luck. She was just unfamiliar with the time lag from her new pathology lab and read the results too soon.

I'm sorry that the kind of excited your Doc got wasn't exactly the good kind of excited. But I'll bet he continues to pay a lot closer attention to Al's reports in the future because he knows you are reading them carefully, too.

Hope things are going smoother toward the end of this course of Vidaza -- and looking forward to hearing about some response to the treatment!

Take care!

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com