Thread: Please help me
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 2, 2012, 08:39 PM
Owner

Abhay,

It's good that you are tracking your father's blood counts and transfusion records.

Your father's HGB and WBC have fluctuated but are slightly higher than before he started cyclosporine. There was a significant platelet increase. But you can't tell if those changes were due to the cyclosporine or the transfusion on 07.12. You'll have to wait longer to see the longer-term trend.

Perhaps the cyclosporine is helping, but you can't be sure. So far it's not enough to bring his counts up to normal levels, but the doctor may consider them to be good enough for now. You might ask how low the doctor thinks your father's HGB and platelets can go before he should be given transfusions.

For the bigger picture you might also ask his doctor if there are other treatment choices and how to decide among them. In the U.S. they often use ATG in combination with cyclosporine, or try to boost blood counts with growth factors. I'm not familiar with the typical treatments in India. Remember that most Marrowforums users, including me, are caregivers or patients, not medical experts, and what we've learned comes from our own experiences.

By the way, the last blood counts you posted above say "27.11.12". Did you mean 27.12.11?