View Single Post
Old Fri Jun 26, 2015, 12:10 PM

Update and some insight would be appreciated

Last friday we received devestating news that there is not a single match for my dad on the registry. We are an ethnic minority (Italian) thus makes it impossible to find a match. But I will not let this bad news bring us down because I am determined to help my dad and put him in remission. We are doing everything we can by calling all of our italian relatives and even the ones in italy to see if they are willing to join the registry to save my dads life. He is needing blood more freqently and his plts are dropping as well. Dr. M says this is normal and he anticipates it to be worse in the coming weeks with being transfusion dependent. His energy is low and has lost a lot of weight. For the people on Vidaza, when did your counts normalize? He has had 3 rounds so far. Do they ever? And when they do, does that mean he is in temporary remission?
Daughter of father diagnosed with MDS RAEB-II intermediate risk due to normal cytogenetics. Blasts at 13% peripheral blood at diagnosis with no cytopenias. 6 cycles on Vidaza then on to SCT at Duke. BMT from my brother and now showing signs of relapse. DLI in the works.