View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 7, 2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL View Post
Vidaza can take 6 to 9 cycles to reach its peak effectiveness. It is pretty common to go 6 cycles and evaluate. My first time on Vidaza, I only had two cycles and my blood counts dropped both cycles. When I did my last 6 cycles after transplant, my counts started recovering late first cycle. The unfortunate answer is that response and response time varies from person to person.

Blood counts getting worse before improving happens a lot, so it is really a matter of managing the side effects of low blood counts.

I wish you and your father the best of luck in searching out donors and finding treatment options that help.
DanL thanks for your response! Is this a common thing now to continue chemo after transplant? With RAEB-II I want him to be treated as agressively as possible (My dad agrees as well). The docotor as Duke said they will look one more time in Aug. before settling on the cord blood. Dr. M did a bone marrow biopsy and said he has improved but he isnt where he wants him to be. Blast <5% but severe dysplasia is still seen. But from what you are saying we still need to give the medication more time.
Daughter of father diagnosed with MDS RAEB-II intermediate risk due to normal cytogenetics. Blasts at 13% peripheral blood at diagnosis with no cytopenias. 6 cycles on Vidaza then on to SCT at Duke. BMT from my brother and now showing signs of relapse. DLI in the works.