View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 12, 2019, 04:38 AM

I saw my very nice haematologist/oncologist yesterday, and he informed me that my karyotype and cytogenetics are normal. I'm due to start Azacitidine on 13 January. He thinks that I might do well on it, so I'm hoping .... Interestingly he didn't rule out a transplant if the Azacitidine gets me into remission. That's a scary prospect tho'.

My AML is a bit atypical in that the peripheral blood blast count has stayed at 10% for the last couple of months and other bloods, though not normal, seem fairly stable. This means I can delay to enjoy some family time over Christmas before I start. If there is a deterioration, I'll have to get started sooner.

One of my son's friends is a retired naturopath and he has given me some good advice on how to build up my system before the Aza starts so I'm going to give that my best shot and right now I'm feeling positive and hopeful.

I would love to hear from people who have been on this drug and to know what side effects you have experienced, when the side effects started in the cycle and how long they affected you during the cycle. Thanks!
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.