View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 10:39 AM

Us Up-Date 01/11/2009

It will be 3 weeks since Pop's passing this Tuesday. A few things happened that he and I would have teamed up on, and one in particular comes to mind. We had a real heavy rain for about 4 days, thought I was going to have to build an ark. A large pine tree up rooted due to the wet soil, plus being on a hill did not help either. It crossed the driveway. This would have been a project that Pop and I would have done together. The bickering of how to do it, who was correct and why are the chains on the saws dull, poor mom looking on wondering why we have not finished it yet. A three hour project, at best. Well my son Tony was still here, and the large job it was, I recruited him. It went fairly quick. he did the grunt work, I cut, there was no bantering of "how too" and my mom and I teared up when it was finished. A 2 hour job. We missed the hour extra.

Last night was the first dinner at mom's since all the family went home. Payment for the tree, and it was her famous spaghetti sauce. I plopped down in Pop's chair, and we were talking before dinner and my 3 1/2 year old asked where Pop was. That finished my wife and I. Mom explained and gave me a kiss on the head. She is a tough one. I performed Pop's chores, dishes and teasing, but not the same. Going through the motions.

When Pop lost his dad, he lived 300 miles away. We went to the funeral, and went home. It's different when a child stays near the parents home. Everyday is emotional. I know it will get better; however, I need to feel the hole. Without it, I fear I will loose my emotions for Pop.

Mom is excited. A bitter, sweet adventure awaits her. She is going to visit my sister out east. About a three hour drive. She and the dog leave Friday. This is the first mission she has taken on by herself in 55 years. I said "GO!" Have fun with your daughter #1. A five day trip. She will do fine.

The neighbors have been great. James and Clara in back, "look up mountain folk in Webster's, see picture" , have been so helpful and kind. My employers have been so patient, as have Angie's.

Pop is still on the end table waiting for that spring Saturday to drift on the wind. I will work on my banjo some more. Maybe I will play something for him. As far as the nice box, mom said he would not want it. He was simple, and cardboard would have suited him just fine. I'm o.k. with that. Pop. Short shirt, men's bikini bottoms, floppy hat and a good day to sail, or mow.

Simple.

Thanks.

Scott
Son Of Bob
Scott, Son of BOB. My father, diagnosed 9/07 with "hypo-cellular acute bone marrow Leukemia" AA, AML & MDS. He was 77 years old 08/25/2008. He was being treated with Ara-C, blood and platelets w/needed. Stopped blood treatments 12/08/08 & passed 12/23/2008. Pop was the best father and friend.