View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 10:39 AM

Another related article

Thank you for this post....After reading the info on NO, I googled it to see exactly how NO contributes to overall health. This is from Duke Univ back from 2005. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0527111159.htm

I find this all very interesting on a couple of levels because NO contributes to blood clotting, healthy immunity and most importantly, raises oxygen levels in your tissues. For us, it may explain some complications from iron overload. NO is highly attracted to Iron...it binds to iron and iron proteins rendering the NO inactive. Our organs need oxygen and over time, insufficient oxygen result in organ damage. So it becomes more important to get the excess iron off as soon as possible. Then you have to ask, can you increase NO levels enough to counteract this safely. L-arginine amino acid is key to producing NO. Is supplementation with it warrented in those with high iron as a way to offset the complications of iron overload? Hmmmmm.

John recently found out that his testesterone levels are very low and as well as his Human Growth Hormone. He's currently being assessed to see if it's the pituitary or end organ that's off. Iron overload effects the endocrine system....so you have oxidative damage from the iron and reduced oxygen flow...both which effect the health of organs.

I'm thinking that you really need to boost your anitoxidants alot more than what we have done with iron overload. Most with iron overload are deficient in Vitamin C. So if we correct this, look for way to increase NO and get the iron off, I wonder if these damage organs can repair themselves.

Lots to think about....again...thanks for this post!

Marlene
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.