Thread: EPO worries
View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 15, 2013, 12:43 PM

Hi Mseth,

I think we are talking about the same EPO (erythropoietin). My mom hema actually reluctant to give her the EPO as it is very expensive. I insisted and finally the hema gave in but with very very low dosage. According to my mom weight, for sure she needs a lot lot more than 2000*3/ week. Anyway better than having nothing, that's what i think.

About your question how long, i have no answer for you. What i read so far from the forum is, it was all depends to individual, some might response in short time, some might response in longer period of time, some might not response to it at all.

For my mom case, i dont even know whether it was EPO itself helping the Hgb or other factors, supplements that i mentioned.

My mom now only get 1 pack of blood every 3 weeks as the doctor in our local hospital telling us that there were not enough blood. So far, this has been done for the past 6 weeks and the Hb still maintained at around 7 and higher. We still hope the local hospital can provide my mom with 2 pack /month.
Teo, son to Goh, age 71 dx mightbe MDS with low HB & RBC Jan 2012; FE 7755 on Nov 2014 - 6*500mg ferriprox; BT every month since Feb 2012; BMB done July 2013 - no conclusive evidence of MDS or PRCA; EPO stopped Nov 2013; Danazol 200mg*2 starts Nov 2013 + cyclosporine 25mg*4 starts June 2015