View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 27, 2013, 03:34 PM

VA claims

Hi Barbara:

I am also a widow of Vietnam vet, deceased Sept. 2009 from "malignant pleural effusion, chronic myelomonocytic leukemia". That was the cause of death written on the Death Certificate; my husband's final diagnosis in the progression from MDS through 6 years of his struggle. I have been denied three times on my claims since my husband passed.

I also prepared my petition, which Bob Macfarlane presented when he was our spokesman to the IOM evaluation in 2011. He is a valiant warrior for the cause. I marvel at his stamina and will power to continue this battle.

I have not presented another claim at this time because of the pressure on the under staffed reviewers of the VA, and the high number of claims from the returning vets from Iraq and Afghanistan. They are so backlogged that I am sure the MDS related claims are denied immediately because the VA does not recognize the illness and has no desire to do so. It's a quick move from one side of the desk to the outbox.

I have my files, and may resubmit in the future, but I'm not sure. It is so hard to relive all the pain associated with the history when you work with the paperwork, and my recovery time gets longer each time I re-submit.

I wish you luck with your claims.

Lillian