View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 7, 2011, 10:48 PM

My ATG experience

I didn't have too many symptoms during the treatment but I was absolutely wiped out for about a month afterwards.

What do I mean by "wiped out?" I could barely walk, when I tried to sit up at a table I practically flopped down face first. Walking up stairs was something that I had to spend about 4 or 5 hours gearing myself up for because I had stiffness in my hip joints and knees.

Really weird dreams too. And I was sleeping 14 to 18 hours a day.

Then about at the six week mark, I started to feel somewhat normal again.

As for the day of:

Does your dad have his PICC in place yet?

Once they talk to your dad in the morning and get him ready for the two giant bottles of "birch beer" (That's what I called them) They'll hit him with the pre-meds. Those knocked me out from about 10AM until about 4. You may want to schedule family visits for early morning or later on in the evening.

Try to get him out to walk around a little after dinner/treatment and before the evening meds. You should have the ok if you wear a mask. That helped me get the cobwebs out. They may be a little stricter about this during cold and flu season.

I'll let you know if anything else comes to mind,

Ryan