View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 03:50 PM

Dad has hypo-cellular acute bone marrow Leukemia

Hello,

I am new to the site, and at the end of August, my father was diagnosed with MDS. As his platelets continued to drop, avg of 10 per week, they conducted a bone marrow biopsy. The stains came back as hypo-cellular acute bone marrow Leukemia, not MDS.

I just returned from the doctor with my mom and pop. He received his first injection of
Generic name: Cytarabine
Trade names: Cytosar-U®
Other names: Ara-C, Arabinosylcytosine.

He has been told that he will be on this indefinitely, for he opted not going to the hospital for 4 weeks of intense treatment. Having done the research on the clinical trials, he is 76 years old, he felt he may not make it. His platelets are at 35 toady, and will drop even quicker now that he is on the chemo.

I guess what I am wanting to know, is if there is anyone with this same condition. He was a volunteer firefighter for 30 years, and an auto mechanic from the late 40's to 1992. He was involved with allot of bad smoke and chemicals used in the auto industry that are not manufactured anymore.

I am looking for time left, those in remission, and since his platelets are down to 35, should I have hope.....be blunt.

Pop is in good humor, still joking but tired.

thanks,
Scott