View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 1, 2008, 11:29 AM

Pop's Dr. Visit 2/28/08

I took pop to the Dr. Today. He insisted on driving. He does well, but it tires him greatly. I guess him being from the driving generation, he still likes it a lot. I, on the other hand, would prefer a transporter. Star Trek generation... Oh well.

The Dr. was surprised to see him, yet again. The outcome will still be the same, but it still gives the Dr. a meter to go by. Pop is a bit unusual, and is actually growing hair at the chemo injection sites. I will say, he is a bit odd.

I used to treat every Friday as a completion point, you know, end of week, pay day, the ensuing "honey Do list". Now it is every Tuesday. Pop's blood test results. How’s the platelets, the RBC'S, white count? Will he need platelets this week? Blood? As you all know, he had blood 3 weeks ago, and this week. Two units each time. He also received platelets each of the last two weeks. One unit each time. This is all on top of the weekly injections.

The Dr. Stated that he can go indefinitely this way. He even has patients that get two transfusions a week. Pop won't be game for that. He will stop if it becomes more frequent than one a week. Pop at this point is one step forward, 2 steps back. He is getting, somewhat, depressed. That is why no one argues with him driving. He enjoys the trips taking mom to the store, yes he sits in the car, {mom leaves the window cracked} Ha, Ha. He also drives himself to the visits to the hospital. Its only 5 miles each way, and we're in a rural area. Until he gets so anemic he gets dizzy sitting, I will allow it. Sounds so mean of me to say that. At what point do we children allow ourselves to make decisions like that?

Pop is a rock, but not an island. He will be missed by most, and is loved by many.

I will keep you posted on his progress.

Scott
SON OF BOB
Scott, Son of BOB. My father, diagnosed 9/07 with "hypo-cellular acute bone marrow Leukemia" AA, AML & MDS. He was 77 years old 08/25/2008. He was being treated with Ara-C, blood and platelets w/needed. Stopped blood treatments 12/08/08 & passed 12/23/2008. Pop was the best father and friend.