View Single Post
Old Wed May 16, 2012, 05:44 PM
Owner

Since you are a civil servant your employment rules are almost certainly well-documented and readily available. Make sure you get that information as soon as possible. It may specify exactly what rights and choices you have. By law, government employers must post in a conspicuous place a notice explaining the Family and Medical Leave Act's provisions and providing information regarding procedures for filing claims.

As I understand it, the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) includes these provisions:
  1. Qualifying government employees are entitled to 12 unpaid weeks per year for serious medical conditions.

2. Depending on your employer's policies, you may be able to work part-time. The FMLA says it as follows:

"Under some circumstances, employees may take FMLA leave intermittently – taking leave in separate blocks of time for a single qualifying reason – or on a reduced leave schedule – reducing the employee’s usual weekly or daily work schedule."
That doesn't say what "under some circumstances" means. My guess is that your employer's policies dictate that.

Perhaps your city or state has laws that apply to your situation too. I'm not an expert on any of this, but I know that there are organizations that can advise and help you. One of them is the Patient Advocate Foundation, so you might check with them.

If there's paperwork involved in securing rights to work part-time for medical reasons, make sure you follow all of the specified procedures, get any information required from your doctor, and avoid missing any deadlines. You don't want to do anything to jeopardize getting that lifetime medical coverage!