View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 3, 2008, 08:46 PM

I need help, mom needs to start treatment

My mother was diagnosed with MDS in March, considered to be RA low risk, no chromosome abnormalities. About a month ago, hemoglobin really started to drop and white cells also...Hemogloblin down to 6.5, WBC 2.1 platelets normal. Given another bone marrow biopsy and results are back - 8% blasts, and genetics aren't back in yet. She was transfused and her current doctor sent her to someone who was more qualified to treat her. We saw him today and he seemed pretty alarmed and is worried this is moving too quickly. He recommened one of the following:

1. Dacogen
2. Vidaza
3. Vidaza & MGCD0103 trial if we were lucky enough to get in.

I have an appointment set up for my mom to see another doctor (Dr. Raza) on Monday for a second opinion. My question is what does anyone on the board know about the above mentioned treatments. He was really leaning towards the trial, if we were lucky enough to be one of the 50% to get the pill.

I am having a super hard time making decisions about a disease I barely know anything about. My mom is crying because she thinks she is dying. Is there any hope with these drugs? Please any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

edited to add, I am unsure if that is the exact name of the trial he wants to put her on. He said it didn't have a name and was a pill so I googled and got that.
Dacogen started 01/10 - no response
Bone Marrow Biopsy 10/10 - 13% blasts
Bone Marrow Biopsy 12/22/10 - 45% blasts - AML
I have an angel 1/4/11

Last edited by Suzanne : Thu Jul 3, 2008 at 08:48 PM. Reason: content