View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 20, 2013, 02:03 PM

Post Transplant - Complications?

Hi all,

My baby daughter was diagnosed with AML in May 2011. After getting the leukaemia in to remission, she had a relapse in July 2012. We were very lucky to find her a compatible donor, as well as finding a hospital space to do the transplant (we're using the Brazilian public health system, which is challenging). She is to turn 3 years old next month

She had the transplant just before Christmas 2012 and all seemed to be going well after the standard tough times. However, when she was released from hospital just 20 days after the transplant I was concerned. Is this not really early to go home after a transplant?

She started to get worse at home. It's tough enough getting a toddler to take medicines but she was vomiting non-stop ( which I would assume includes vomiting any medicines) to the point that she is now back in hospital. (Not the nice hospital where she received the transplant, but a lower grade one).

She is still vomiting almost non-stop (or trying, as there's nothing to throw up). Now in hospital she is on a drip so atleast she will remain hydrated. But any food she's getting via a tube to her stomach (forgotten the word in English! wow! In Portuguese it's 'sonda') is getting thrown up rapidly, so she is getting worryingly thin . She's vomiting this bright liquid, that i'm not sure if it's bile or catarrh. She has quite bad mucovitis but won't let anyone clean all of this crap out of her mouth, due to her discomfort.

Her eyes and skin are quite yellow, skin very dry and rough....it seems the donated bone marrow is rejecting her liver.

I'm very worried.... not sure what I'm looking for here, but I'm just hoping other people have been through all this and it's all normal? She's gotten a pretty bad ride, and I need her to start improving soon

I'm just hugely worried that she was sent home early from hospital due to some kind of financial concern, and now she's worse off

Whilst looking back at what I've written, I've been browsing other threads here...seems these issues are common. So i'm hoping all is good . Just my daughter's mother is rather negative at times, and it really brings me down