View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 8, 2009, 06:12 AM

Diarrhea

Hi Brian,
As far as I understand probiotics are always good - I take two different types every day - but they change the bacteria and I don't think probiotics will help your mother with chemo induces diarrhea. Here is info from the Mayo clinics:

"What can you do?
When you begin experiencing diarrhea, you can take action by modifying what you eat and drink, including:

Drink clear liquids. As soon as your diarrhea starts, switch to a diet of clear liquids, such as water, apple juice, clear broth and popsicles.

Avoid milk products, as lactose intolerance may be part of your diarrhea.

Eat low-fiber foods. As your diarrhea starts to improve, add foods low in fiber to your diet, such as bananas, rice, applesauce and toast.

Eat frequent small meals.

Eat foods that are high in potassium. Potassium is an important mineral that you can lose through diarrhea. Try eating bananas, potatoes and apricots to boost your potassium levels. If you have kidney problems, consult with your doctor before eating foods that are high in potassium.

Avoid foods that can irritate your digestive tract. These include dairy products, spicy foods, alcohol, foods and beverages that contain caffeine, and foods high in fiber and fat."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diarrhea/CA00040

Hope this will help your mother !
Kind regards
Birgitta-A