View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 8, 2015, 12:54 AM

Dad newly diagnosed with AML

My dad, age 66, has always had low platelet counts and it was suspected he had MDS several years ago but the bone marrow autopsy didn't confirm it. He has been going for 6 monthly blood tests and the recent blood test and bone marrow autopsy shows that he has AML now, with 80% blasts in his bone marrow. He's on weekly blood transfusion now. He has no symptoms so far aside from tiredness.

His doctor has said that his heart is too weak to go through chemotherapy and they're giving him up to 6 months left to live. He went for a second opinion who advised that Dacogen could help but Dacogen is really expensive in Malaysia ($30k a month) and that it has to be taken for life if it does work which is not sustainable for us. My dad has refused to attempt even a four month trial on it because of the costs.

I've seen mention of Vidaza on this forum and from reading up on it, it sounds like its similar to Dacogen though Dacogen might have less side effects. Is Vidaza cheaper than Dacogen?

Does anyone know of any alternative treatments?

It's really difficult for us right now, trying to find treatment but being held back by money.