View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 14, 2010, 03:37 PM

Can anything be done in Watch & Wait mode?

I currently have low Platelets, Low WBC and right now normal HGB with the RBC right above the lower threshold. After 2years, 2 BMBs and lots of blood work my doctor says he still can't rule out an autoimmune issue but this could progress to MDS at some point but right now the blood cells do not have the characteristics of MDS. I've read a numbers of posts and web articles where MDS sometimes starts slow with low platelets for years before turning the corner to MDS. My doctors says it needs to be monitored but no other specific advice. When I brought up curcumin he cautioned that it might make things worse in the long run which after thinking about it I agree that high doses might just throw things out of wack.

What I have done is try to eat only foods that can be helpful ... lots of fruit, vegetables and most of my protein from wild salmon. I eliminated alcohol, processed foods, white sugar- flour- rice from my diet. I exercise 2X a day for 90 min. I also eliminated the multi vitamin, vit b12 and vit C , Omega 3, and Benadryl I was taking daily. I think the Benadryl was contributing to the issue but have to wait that out a bit longer since I cut that out in september and want to see a few more blood tests.

Are there any other Watch and Waiters that have had any success in trying to build up or reduce the stress on the marrow which normalized the numbers? The information out there on what diet supports healthy marrow is limited.