View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 16, 2010, 08:32 AM

Hi Lindy....Glad you found the links helpful. It's very frustrating to be in a "wait" mode so I do understand you wanting to do what ever you can to improve your health.

Tom....very interesting about the RLS. John had a lot of neurological issues after his treatment and when I started to research natural approaches to help heal his nerves and brain, I saw that the same nutrients were vital to healthy blood production. I think that was when I had one of those "ah ha" moments and realized I needed to step back and take in the bigger picture of overall healing.

On the B12...it would be good know what your B12 status was before you started to supplement; and be sure to get it checked again to ensure you able to maintain that level. There's a lot of research supporting anyone over 50 should supplement B12, along with other b vitamins. B12 absorption is reduced as we age and any antacids/acid reflux drugs will greatly impair absorption. Also, if your gut bacteria is out of balance, the bad bacteria will consume the B12 you eat.

One last item to check....your vitamin D levels. Here's a good source for understanding all the latest science on Vitamin D. They also talk about the discrepancies in test results from Quest labs and how to adjust their results to get to a more accurate reading.

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.