View Single Post
Old Wed Mar 7, 2012, 07:28 PM

17 years wait and watch

Hi All,

I am new here and I just wanna share my dad's story....... I don't know what I can do at this moment......I am opening to any ideas.

My dad was found out low platelets in 1995. It was 50. Not sure how long exactly took him to drop from normal to 50. He probably had it for long long time but he never even found out. Doctors didn't do anything about it. Just wait and watch. In 2004 he did some heavy duty mech job which involved a lot of paint thinners, suddenly his platelets dropped down to 20-30 range, has been stable since then. Last two counts were 24, a month later (late Feb 2012) was 28. slightly low for his HBG, ranging between 117-125 but he is not a meat lover at all. White cells have been around 4 range. not below the alarming line yet.... It's been 17 years now.....Not sure what is going to happen......They are rebooking his bone marrow biopsy.......They are pretty sure it's MDS.....

Any good suggestions? I am so scared of the aggressive chemotherapies. He is 63. Healthy otherwise. I am a RN myself and I've seen people taking chemo.......I am so scared that if he actually will get worse.....I can't count how many times I look after patients who got cancers and decided to take the aggressive therapies but didn't survive the chemo/surgery.

He is not bleeding at all at this point. In fact even when he had his teeth pulled out he was bleeding just a little bit longer than normal people. no concerns at all....

What about transfusion dependent?? not sure how long that will last him. A doctor that I work with told me that our body tend to eat up those transfused platelets so it will eventually stop working.

I've never done hematology units so I have no clue at all.

Thank you all for reading my post and may God bless us and bless those new drug trials.

Last edited by pray for my dad : Wed Mar 7, 2012 at 11:40 PM.