View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 8, 2012, 11:28 AM

watch and wait

Hello, I'm posting to let you and your Dad know that it is possible for some people to live with very low platelets (especially if the other counts are not too low and the platelets are functioning well). It does take a toll on your mind but you just have to "keep calm and carry on" and avoid the "hard knocks". I, like you Dad, had a moderately low platelet count for more than 25 years. It wasn't until 3 1/2 years ago when my platelets dropped to the mid 20 range that I finally got a BMB and was diagnosed with MDS. I sought out a few expert opinions then and finally settled into "watch and wait". I've tolerated a platelet count of less than 22k for more than 2 years now.
It is possible that your Dad could have ITP or some other reason for his low platelets but the anemia is worrisome for MDS. I would not worry about the BMB as, like Hopeful, I have had them without problems with a platelet count of 18k. (maybe a little more bruising and oozing than the normal).
Tell your Dad to learn all he can about his diagnosis, get expert opinions about managing it, avoid drugs and supplements that could affect his platelets, and be cautious to avoid any injuries or bleeds. Then try to "forgetaboutit" and not let the disease control his life.(easier said than done)
I am indebted to all the courageous people who post on this website and inspire me and inform me every day. If you or your Dad would like to speak with me after he gets his BMB, I'd be happy to do so. Good Luck tytd