View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 8, 2012, 08:07 PM

One thing to add: re dacogen

Wanted to post a reply re: drug treatment, Dacogen, being close in age to your dad and both of us having no other significant health problems. I do want to mention one thing about the treatment, if he, in fact, is prescribed one of the demethylating drugs, be patient. The drug may take anywhere from 3-6 months or sometimes longer to improve the symptoms, and there may be transfusions, etc. to go through during those months, but like others have mentioned on this site, just take each day at a time and you'll get through those first few months and be prepared to get alot of rest!! In my case and many others the numbers will jump up and down during those months. For me platelets, white cells, and hemoglobin were all low to start out. After 3 months, all began jumping higher and higher and I've been stable for almost 3 years now (with monthly treatments and independent of transfusions). Looking back, being scared to death, was my worst problem! Just take it easy and be patient!! Best of luck for your dad.