View Single Post
Old Fri Feb 14, 2014, 01:50 AM

Carlito,

I am very sorry to hear about your mother's relapse. There are several different ways to treat a relapse, depending on your mother's overall health and the strategy that the doctors believe is in her best interest. Here are a few that I have read about and discussed with my team recently: 1) Donor Lymphocyte Infusion (DLI), which is where you are given a dose of your donor's lymphocytes to try and boost the transplant. 2) usually accompanied by a DLI, reduction of any anti-rejection drugs such as tacrolimus, sirolimus, MMF, cyclosporine, etc, to try and let the donor's marrow have a little more leeway and maybe knock out the blasts 3) vidaza or decitabine to try and bring the blasts back down and give the donor cells a chance to fight again, 4) second transplant - may or may not be accompanied by induction chemo, 5) experimental treatments for AML in relapse - there are many trials out there. This is obviously not an all inclusive list by any stretch, but may allow you to begin conversations with the doctors. If you are not comfortable with the responses (or maybe even if you are) second opinions may be helpful. There may be something that the doctors are missing and just need another set of eyes on her case.

Wishing you and your mother the best of luck!
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.