View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 4, 2011, 09:37 AM

Smile Choice and how to decide . . . .

Hi Greg and Neil,
I met we a leading MDS doctor at Princess Margaret. Her thoughts, I believe, are that both courses of actions have risks(drugs & transfusions vs. BMT). Although the previous hospital suggested BMT immediately, she was hoping to buy some time since there are new drugs constantly being tested etc. If I were to remain free of treatment for a period of time, even more medical advances are possible! On the transplant side, she suggested that the mini transplant is certainly a good option.
If a perfect marrow match is found that would certainly be a compelling factor for the transplant. By the way, for all those needing a transplant, I am happy to say, that I have been fortunate to have numerous people join the registry in a willingness to help.

By nature I am a planner. . . personally, at work and for social situations. I already have next week's menu for after golf planned! I find it hard not to be able to know what is coming next and within what time frame, with this disease. I want to plan the best route for when I need treatment. Path A drugs and transfusions or Path B a transplant. Although as I read and learn more, I believe I can go down Path A for a while and then switch to Path B??? I just don't want to go too far down Path A if it interfers with the success of Path B (BMT).

Thanks for the links to some of the other people's journey. Neil, I have read your wife's journey when I first found this site. A very touching and inspiring story. Upon reading it, I felt that my disease would perhaps take a similar path. I have read some of the others, but I will be sure to read all of them. Oh, one other question. I am a teacher, if I need drugs and transfusions, at that time will I still be able to work? Any idea?

Thanks for all your insight.

Janice
Female, age 52 - Diagnosed May, 2011 Hypoplastic MDS. Cytogenetics showing 2 abnormalities on chromosome 15. Blasts<5%, IPSS of 1. All blood counts low, but no treatment; watch and wait. Registered for MUD; on Feb. 23/12 two donor matches found but returned since not needed yet!