View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 4, 2011, 01:54 PM

Greg,

Thanks for giving me what you know about treatments, in such an easy to follow manner! I have been reading and listening to archived webinars to try and get the information you have given me in such a concise and logically organized manner.

Your help is greatly appreciated. From what you have outlined then, it appears as though I would continue on the "wait and watch" until my counts suggest the need for drug therapies and transfusions. At that point, I would have to see how the treatments are effecting me and the time needed for them, regarding continuing to work. ( I have 4 years to go to achieve an unreduced retirement pension). Hopefully also at that time, a MUD has been found and I am assuming I would move towards a BMT, with the previous treatments not interferring with the success of the BMT.
My last counts were: WBC 2.8, Hemoglobin 11.4, platelets 40, MCV 102 and Netrophils were .54.

Are you pursuing a BMT? If so, at what point is it recommended?

Thanks for all your helpful information,
Janice
Female, age 52 - Diagnosed May, 2011 Hypoplastic MDS. Cytogenetics showing 2 abnormalities on chromosome 15. Blasts<5%, IPSS of 1. All blood counts low, but no treatment; watch and wait. Registered for MUD; on Feb. 23/12 two donor matches found but returned since not needed yet!